Marketing and Publicity Assistant
We are looking for a marketing and publicity assistant to join our small, busy team. Green Books is an environmental publisher for over 35 years, specializing in practical solutions for ecological living. Our imprint UIT Cambridge aims to make science popular and accessible. 2020/2021 has been a very successful year for us and we want to build on this to find new markets for our titles.
The successful candidate will:
- have good organisational and communication skills and excellent written English.
- be eager to learn
- be able to manage multiple tasks and problem solve.
- be familiar with Excel, Indesign, Word and Social Media.
- preferably have an understanding of publishing systems and experience writing copy for different audiences.
The salary of £20,000 to £30,000 pro rata is dependent on experience and the position can be full-time or a minimum of 3 days a week.
To apply, send your CV and a covering letter telling us why you want to work for us and how your skills and experience equip you for the post. Please email them to email@example.com by 5pm on Monday 20th September 2021.
- Job description
You will work closely with the sales Director on all aspects of your work:
- Writing promotional copy for the trade, the media and advertisers and ensuring timely and accurate publicity data is available to them.
- Liaising with booksellers and the trade with ongoing promotion of new and backlist titles.
- Writing and despatch of online and conventional marketing, including newsletters, blogs, catalogues, book covers and our websites,
- Building up our publicity and marketing contacts.
- Setting up book launches and events, liaising with authors and attending Book Fairs.
Specific Tasks may include but are not limited to the following:
- Update and maintain marketing focussed metadata.
- Create & update Advance Information Sheets and send to Sales Reps, distributors & bookstores
- Draft back cover copy for titles. Find endorsers and edit for final cover copy. Liaise with team.
- Upload/submit new titles in a timely fashion to trade catalogues.
- Send questionnaires to authors, liaise with them and update authors’ events on website.
- Draft publicity plans for front list titles. Create Press Releases, liaise with journalists & reviewers.
- Plan marketing, report to Sales Representatives & liaise with them on promotions and new publicity.
- Research and arrange Amazon/ Google/Facebook/Twitter etc advertising & promotions.
- Liaise with sales director on budgets.
- Organize book launches/signings, research awards and liaise with author, venue etc.
- Create and email newsletters to trade customers, consumers and authors.
- Update and maintain the Green Books social networks platforms
Production Coordinator/ Assistant
Company: UIT Cambridge / Green Books
Salary: £20,000 to £30,000 dependent on experience
Is the role permanent? Yes
Is the role full-time? Yes, or 3 days/week or job-share
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org
UIT is a successful small independent publisher with a great reputation. We publish popular science under the UIT Cambridge imprint; we publish all aspects of sustainability – from eco-building to organic gardening – under Green Books.
We’ve just had our best year ever and need an organized and enthusiastic person to help us develop further.
In return we offer training and an introduction to publishing that’s second to none.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the publishing director on producing new books and reprints
- Liaising with freelance editors and designers to ensure timely delivery of material
- Ensuring the descriptions of our books (“metadata”) are up to date and error free, ready for distribution across the book trade
Experience / skills required:
- Excellent organizational, administrative and planning skills, able to multitask and prioritize
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Numerate, with IT skills. Good Excel is essential. Adobe InDesign is a plus
Apply to email@example.com sending your CV and a covering letter saying why you are interested. Matching your skills and experience to the job, whether that experience was at work, or in your education or wider activities.
Closing date: Monday 20-Sep-2021
About UIT Cambridge / Green Books
We are an independent publisher, with two separate imprints, addressing different readerships. (1) UIT Cambridge publishes non-fiction books, dedicated to making complex information accessible to a wide audience, probably best known for 'Sustainable Energy - without the hot air' by the late Prof David MacKay, and 'Drugs - without the hot air' by Prof David Nutt. (2) Green Books focuses on environmental concerns, with a wide range of books on green topics (with an emphasis on practical books) including organic gardening, sustainable building, economics of sustainability, eco philosophy and policy, green education, parenting and healthy living.